The Crowd Manager Training is aimed at making public gatherings/assemblies safer by teaching event staff how to be better crowd managers. Fatal disasters, such as the Indiana State Fair 2011 stage collapse and the 2003 The Station nightclub fire, clearly illustrate the need for trained crowd managers to prevent repeat catastrophes.
The training is required by International Fire Code section 403. One certified manager is required for every 250 persons in groups of 1,000 or more and when required by the Fire Marshal through an assembly operational permit.
Participants who successfully complete the course will learn how to:
- Conduct pre-event inspections to identify problems with exits and egress paths and ensure required fire systems are operational.
- Use a portable fire extinguisher.
- Guide the crowd in an emergency.
- Recognize when to use protection strategies, including defend-in-place, evacuation, or partial evacuation.
- React to deteriorating weather conditions.
- Identify problem attendees and how to respond once they're identified.
- Coordinate with emergency responders.
To request Crowd Manager Training please contact Fire Prevention at 775-588-3591.