Effective Monday 8/10/2020, Douglas county will no longer take payment for the Tahoe Douglas Fire Protection District fire & life safety inspections. Payment is required first, then you will be directed to the scheduling page.
Pay Inspection Fees and Schedule Inspection
(EACH unit requires individual PAYMENT AND APPOINTMENT)
(payment must be made before this step)
WHAT IS A VACATION HOME RENTAL?
Title 20 Consolidated Development Code 20.622 Vacation Rentals in the Tahoe Township
A Vacation Home Rental (VHR) is one or more dwelling units, including single-family, detached or multiple-family attached units, rented for overnight lodging - for not less than one (1) day and not more than twenty-eight (28) days. A VHR is not an ongoing month-to-month tenancy granted to the same renter for the same unit pursuant to Chapter 118A of Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS).
WHAT ARE COMMON TERMS USED FOR VACATION HOUSE RENTALS?
- Short-Term Rental - describes furnished self-contained apartments that are rented for short periods, usually by the month as opposed to annual rentals in the unfurnished apartment rental market. They are seen as an alternative to hotels. Short Stay rental is an offshoot of the corporate housing market. Popular uses include vacation rental and relocation.
- Vacation Rental - is the renting of a furnished apartment, house, or professionally managed resort-condominium complex on a temporary basis to tourists as an alternative to a hotel.
- VRBO - is short for Vacation Rental by Owner, and as the name implies, it specializes in vacation rentals of all types: houses, apartments, condos, villas, etc.
- Other familiar names: Airbnb, HomeAway, Bookabach, etc.
DOUGLAS COUNTY REQUIREMENTS
A VHR permit is required for all properties meeting the definition of a VHR as described in Douglas County Code (DCC) Title 20.622. As of July 1, 2019, passing a fire and life-safety inspection by Tahoe Douglas Fire Protection District is required for all new and existing permits, prior to application submittal.
Three tiers of VHR Permits Tahoe Township Douglas County:
- Tier 1 – True Host (Owner-occupied)
- Tier 2 - Standard permit for occupancy up to 10
- Tier 3 - Large occupancy of 11 or more
To begin the permitting process, please visit the Douglas County website.
For more information on frequently asked questions on vacation home rental inspections.